Friday 23 September 2011

Book Review: Alone on a Wide Wide Sea by Michael Morpurgo


 Julia ( http://www.littlemisscrayons.wordpress.com/ ) actually lent me this book since she called it one of her all-time favourites. I've finished reading it a long time ago actually, and I wanted to post a review on it.

The Blurb:
Orphaned in WWII, Arthur is separated from his
sister and sent to the other side of the world. There his
extraordinary journey continues as he and his friend Marty
survive brutal captivity on a working farm, find a new family
with the eccentric Aunty Meg and her animals, and
discover their talent for designing yachts.

Sixty years later, Arthur's daughter Allie sets sail
single-handed in a yacht designed by her father, determined
to find his long-lost sister in England. Can family love stretch
across time and the vastness of the oceans? And will the
threads of Arthur's life finally come together?

What I think about it:
This book is so tragic. My sister who read it said it was TOO tragic for her liking - fair enough. But I like tragedy compared to cliche. :P I think it was really good, till the story was moved into his daughter's point of view. That part, I skipped many pages. Lol. If you read it, you'll see what I mean. :P

Rating: 9.5/10 - Lost half a mark since there was a part I had to skip a lot of pages. :P

Recommendation: Yes. Especially if you want to know how much WWII really affected children and the harsh reality of how they are treated. ):

Love,
Michelle <3

2 comments:

  1. I'll be reading it again when you finish borrowing with it. :] xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've finished. When do you want me to give it back? :P xx

    ReplyDelete